founded in memory of the Austrian physicists Hans Thirring (1888–1976) and Walter Thirring (1927–2014)
The Hans and Walter Thirring Award is given for outstanding achievements published in recognised physics journals in all areas of the field.
Nominations are sought for young scientists who received their doctorate no longer than 8 years ago from an Austrian university or are working at a university or research institution in Austria at the time of their nomination. Candidates should be known as researchers in the field in their own right or should represent an area of research.
Self-nominations are not accepted for this prize.
Prize winners are decided by the Division of Mathematics and the Natural Sciences of the OeAW at the recommendation of an awards committee on the basis of international peer review.
The prize cannot be shared.
- Tabular CV including a list of publications by the nominee
- Personal statement by the nominator covering the following aspects:
- - nominee’s scientific career and international visibility in the scientific community
- nominee’s influence on the development of research in the field
- nominee’s research achievements
- Selection of a maximum of 3 of the nominee’s most important publications documenting their prizeworthy achievement
ONLINE FORM (will be open again for the call in 2020).
The completed documents are to be uploaded via the online form and sent by post.
Fill in the online form and upload the documents as a total of 4 PDF files.
It is not necessary to supply signatures in the electronic versions. Protected files will not be accepted.
The individual files may not exceed 3 MB. The files are to be given the following names:
Application_Surname.pdf (i.e. application documents)
Publication1_Surname.pdf (i.e. publication 1 submitted)
Publication2_Surname.pdf (i.e. publication 2 submitted)
Publication3_Surname.pdf (i.e. publication 3 submitted)
Please send a documentation in hard copy by post to the following address:
Fellowships and Awards
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Vordere Zollamtsstraße 3