How to apply
I GENERAL GUIDELINES
15 May 2019
Language of application
Applications can be submitted in either German or English.
It is not possible to alter the application or to provide missing documents after submission. Only applications that fulfil the formal criteria will be accepted for review.
Exclusion of reviewers
It is possible to exclude from the review process up to three potential reviewers who may not be well disposed towards the proposed project.
II ONLINE FORM
Upon receipt of the application, the applicant’s data are entered into the database of the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
III PREPARING DOCUMENTS
To complete the application, it is necessary to prepare application documents and project documents.
- Tabular CV
- List of publications
(differentiating between peer-reviewed and non peer-reviewed)
- Letter of motivation (2 pages max.)Description of previous scholarly activities and career plan outlining mid-term career goals and the significance of the requested fellowship for one’s future academic career
- Copy of doctoral/PhD certificate
- An (informal) invitation from the host institute if a stay abroad is planned as part of the fellowship
- Confirmation of a workplace, i.e. confirmation of the possibility to use facilities and resources of the department or research institution (including a signed copy) if necessary for undertaking the research project
- Demonstration of approval necessary for the research project (e.g. declaration of clearance by the Commission for Ethics)
- Abstract (one- to two-page summary of the research proposal)
- Project description (min. 10 to max. 20 pages)
The project description must include:
- the current state of research and the theoretical framework
- innovative and, if applicable, inter-/multidisciplinary aspects
- research questions/hypotheses and methodological considerations
- work steps and timetable (including reasons for the funding period applied for)
- list of works cited in the project description
- details of site/s of research, including where applicable reasons for the planned stay abroad
- itemization and reasons for the costs applied for, using the form for breakdown of costs:
each year, funding amounting to a maximum of EUR 12,000 can be applied for in order to finance project-specific travel and materials expenses (e.g. publications in open access journals, coaching or personal development courses, etc.).
IV SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS
The completed documents are to be submitted via the online form and in hard copy by post.
Submission via the online form
Please complete the online form (see point II) and upload your documents as a total of three PDF files.
In the abstract, state your name and the title of the proposed project. It is not necessary to sign the electronic version. Protected files cannot be accepted.
The individual files may not exceed 3 MB. Name the files as follows:
- Bewerbung_surname.pdf (= application documents)
- Abstract_surname.pdf (= abstract)
- Projekt_surname.pdf (= project description)
Submission by post
After registration, a PDF of the completed online form is sent to the applicant by email.
Applicants should print out and sign the form and return it by post together with the documents listed above (do not write on both sides) to the following address:
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Abteilung für Stipendien und Preise
When enclosing your documents, do not use plastic folders, paper clips, staples or any form of binding and submit your documents in the order in which they are listed above. (Documents will not be returned following review.)
The application is only considered officially submitted once they documents have reached the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
Upon receipt of the application before the deadline, we will check that it is complete and fulfils all formal criteria before filing it with a project number (A-number) in the database of the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
After applications have been checked for completeness, applicants receive confirmation by email.