I General Guidelines
Language of application
Applications can be submitted in German or English.
It is not possible to alter the application or to provide missing documents after submission. Only applications that fulfil the formal criteria will be accepted for review.
If an application is declined, it is possible to resubmit provided the conditions of application are met.
Resubmitted applications must be clearly marked as resubmissions and the progress the project has made since initial submission must be outlined.
Upon receipt of the application, the applicant’s data are entered into the database of the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
(accessible at the next submission deadline)
III Preparing documents
Applications are only complete if the following application documents and project documents are present.
- tabular CV incl. list of publications
- statements on the proposed research project in Athens by two scholars in a position to assess the applicant’s qualifications and the research project with regard to the following aspects:
- applicant’s qualifications and the proposed project’s originality and relevance to the field
- clarity of research questions and methods
- necessity of the research stay in Athens for the project’s successful completion
- Abstract (one-page exposé of the proposed project)
- Detailed research proposal for the stay in Athens (min. 5–15 pages)
The project description should include the following aspects:
- detailed outline of the problem
- work stages incl. method(s) and a timetable
- reasons for the stay in Athens incl. the sources and materials to be worked on or consulted
- select bibliography
IV Submitting documents
The completed documents are to be submitted via the online form and as hard copy by post.
Submission via the online form
Please complete the online form (see point II) and upload your documents as a total of three PDF files.
In the abstract, state your name and the title of the proposed project. It is not necessary to sign the electronic versions. Protected files will not be accepted.
Name the files as follows:
- Application_surname.pdf (application documents)
- Abstract_surname.pdf (abstract)
- Proposal_surname.pdf (research proposal)
The individual files may not exceed 3 MB.
Submission by post
Please send a signed hard copy of the online form together with the documents listed above (do not write on both sides) to:
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Abteilung für Stipendien und Preise
Vordere Zollamtsstraße 3
When enclosing your documents, do not use plastic folders, paper clips, staples or any form of binding and submit your documents in the order in which they are listed above. (Documents will not be returned following review.)
Upon receipt of the application before the deadline, we will check that it is complete and fulfils all formal criteria before filing it with a project number (A-number) in the database of the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
After applications have been checked for completeness, applicants receive confirmation by email.