[Fellowships of the Austrian Archaeological Institute in Athens]
Information and requirements
Applications for an ATHENS Fellowship of the Austrian Academy Sciences are invited from young scholars in the fields of pre-historic and Classical archaeology, ancient history, epigraphy, numismatics, history of Classical architecture, Byzantine studies and modern Greek studies who
- are writing a doctoral/PhD thesis at a university or non-university institute in Austria or are a senior researcher,
- are Austrian citizens or have been resident in Austria for at least two years, and
- submit a specific project which requires a stay in Athens.
Duration of fellowship
The fellowships are awarded for a period of 1–9 months (pre-doc) or 1–3 months (post-doc).
Level of funding
The level of funding amounts to 1,200 Euros per month (pre-doc) or 2,000 Euros per month (post-doc).
An additional single payment of 500 Euros in travel expenses is also granted.
A fellowship also provides the following:
- free accommodation in the visitors’ wing of the institute’s headquarters,
- a workspace with access to the facilities of the OEAI Athens,
- support from the OeAI Athens with requisite applications to the relevant Greek authorities and foreign archaeological schools and institutes based in Athens,
- support in general and practical affairs such as information, travel arrangements etc.
Applicants are entitled to apply for other (funded) positions. Notification of such applications and information on their outcome must be provided in writing to the Department of Fellowships and Awards of the Austrian Academy of Sciences however.
The fellowships can be taken up within twelve months of their allocation.
All fellows are obliged to present the (initial) results of their research project to a wider academic audience during their stay at the OeAI Athens.
A final report is to be sent to the Department of Fellowships and Awards of the OeAW no later than one month after completion of the funding period.
Publications arising from the funding must also be submitted. All publications arising from the funding must state “gefördert im Rahmen des Stipendienprogramms der ÖAW am ÖAI-Athen” or “funded within the fellowship program of the OeAW at OeAI Athens”.