The fellowships are awarded by a selection committee. Half of the committee members are nominated by the OeAW and half from Universities Austria (uniko).
The selection committee creates a shortlist of applications to be sent for international review. Two reviews are obtained for each application; the commission decides whom to award the fellowships on the basis of these reviews.
It is not possible to reapply after a proposal has been rejected.
The committee’s decision is final.
1. Applicant’s academic qualifications and development prospects
- successful studies, e.g. Diplom/Master’s and doctoral/PhD degree (if already completed, otherwise grades from completed examinations forming part of the doctoral/PhD studies)
- special successes, distinctions, prizes
- (international) mobility
- letter of recommendation
2. Scholarly quality of research to date
- originality and relevance to the field, esp. of the research questions and results of the doctoral thesis
- quality of specialist journals or publishing houses published in
- collaboration with other scholars or working groups (including in other disciplines)
- international cooperation within the framework of research projects to date
3. Scholarly quality of the proposed project
- Application for funding for developing an application for third-party funding:
originality and relevance to the field, clarity of research questions and methodology; assessment of prospects of obtaining funding in the selected funding line on the basis of the CV and list of publications
- Application to complete publications:
relevance of the planned publication to the field and the applicant’s further career development; quality of the intended specialist journal or the publishing house
- Application for funding networks:
assessment of the planned international cooperation/networks (esp. quality of the proposed research institution and scholarly potential of the planned stay abroad) with regard to the applicant’s further career development