[Fellowships at the Historical Institute at the Austrian Cultural Forum in Rome]
How to apply
To apply for a ROME Fellowship of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, applicants must complete the following steps:
I General Guidelines
1 March 2020 (as postmarked)
Language of application
Applications must be submitted in German or English.
It is not possible to alter the application or to provide missing documents after submission. Only applications that fulfil the formal criteria will be accepted for review.
If an application is declined, it is possible to resubmit provided the conditions of application are met.
Resubmitted applications must be clearly marked as resubmissions and the progress the project has made since initial submission must be outlined.
Upon receipt of the application, the applicant’s data are entered into the database of the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
III Preparing Documents
The following application documents and project documents must be prepared for submission:
- Tabular CV
- List of publications
that is clearly structured, i.e. providing a complete list of scholarly publications in reverse chronological order listing all authors, titles, publication, year, first and last page number
Please also indicate which of these publications arose from your Diplom/Master’s dissertation or doctoral thesis
- Copies of all degree certificates (Baccalaureate, Master’s, Diplom, doctorate, PhD)
- Statements on research proposal, including explanation of why it is necessary to reside in Rome, by two supervisors (signed copies of each statement)
- Abstract (one-page exposé of the research proposal)
- Detailed research proposal for the stay in Rome (approx. 7–15 pages)
The research proposal should include:
- detailed description of the problem
- work stages including method(s) and a timetable
- detailed explanation of why it is necessary to stay in Rome and of the length of the stay
- citation of the sources and materials in archives, libraries, museums, archaeological sites and other fields of research you intend to work on or consult
- select bibliography
IV Submitting Documents
The completed documents are to be submitted via the online form and in hard copy by post.
Submission via the online form
Please complete the online form (see point II) and upload your documents as a total of three PDF files.
In the abstract, state your name and the title of the proposed project. It is not necessary to sign the electronic version. Protected files cannot be accepted.
Name the files as follows:
- Application_Surname.pdf (application documents)
- Abstract_Surname.pdf (abstract)
- Proposal_Surname.pdf (research proposal)
The individual files may not exceed 3 MB.
Submission by post
Applicants should print out and sign the online form and return it by post together with the documents listed above (do not write on both sides) to the following address:
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Abteilung für Stipendien und Preise
Vordere Zollamtsstraße 3
When enclosing your documents, do not use plastic folders, paper clips, staples or any form of binding and submit your documents in the order in which they are listed above. (Documents will not be returned following review.)
Upon receipt of the application before the deadline, we will check that it is complete and fulfils all formal criteria before filing it with a project number in the database of the Department of Fellowships and Awards.
After applications have been checked for completeness, applicants receive confirmation by email.