You have declared your willingness to take on reviewer assignments for the Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW). For this we wish to express our thanks.
Legal basis for transmission of data for your reviewer assignment is the Research Organisation Act (FOG). Since in your work as a reviewer you will be processing, inter alia, confidential personal data (grant or fellowship application documents), you are in connection with such work on the basis of GDPR contract processor of the ÖAW and therefore subject to art 28 GDPR. In order to give you an initial overview of the relevant regulations, we have summarised them here briefly:
- Please only process the data for the purpose of evaluating the application(s) forwarded to you and to produce reviews regarding them and for other written assignments from the ÖAW.
- Please ensure appropriate protection of the data by means of technical and organisational measures (requirements of GDPR, in particular art 32).
- The data transmitted to you as well as any eventual industrial secrets or other secret data which you become aware of in connection with your work as a reviewer are confidential and subject to data secrecy (§ 6 of the Federal Act concerning the Protection of Personal Data DSG).
- Should any colleagues or assistant reviewers collaborate in your review, please put them under an obligation to confidentiality as well (by means of a confidentiality declaration). The confidentiality of the data continues to apply even after the end of the reviewer assignment.
- Should the ÖAW be confronted with any enquiries and claims of a party affected as well as about compliance with obligations under GDPR, the ÖAW might ask for your support as far as possible for you (art 12 to 23, 32 to 36 and 82 GDPR).
- Please return all relevant records, data and results produced to the ÖAW or delete them, unless you still require them to meet legal obligations, after the completion of your reviewer assignment.
- Please notify the ÖAW immediately if you become aware of breaches of protection of ÖAW data and take the required measures to limit potential adverse consequences for the party affected.
- The data protection officer of the ÖAW is under an obligation to check on compliance with the data protection regulations of contract processors. In case of any eventual checks, we kindly ask for your support, particularly in making all necessary records available.