The applications of the candidates shortlisted in the preliminary selection procedure are reviewed by international experts. At least one meaningful review is sought for each application. The committee’s decision to award grants is based on the reviews and the reports of the individual committee members.
If an application is rejected, the candidate may apply to JESH one more time providing all formal application requirements are fulfilled.
Applicants do not have recourse to legal action.
Applications are evaluated by international experts. In particular, the following criteria are considered
- the applicant’s academic qualifications
- the scholarly quality of the host institutions and the cooperation partner
- the relevance for the field of research
- the added value of the proposed cooperation (e.g. synergy effects) for the scholarly development of the field of research in the candidate’s country of origin
- the potential of (inter)national third-party funding and the sustainability of the proposed cooperation