The decision about funding is made by a fellowship committee, whose members are nominated by the OeAW.
If an application is rejected, the candidate may apply to JESH one more time providing all formal application requirements are fulfilled.
Applicants do not have recourse to legal action.
Applications are evaluated by international experts. In particular, the following criteria are considered
- the applicant’s academic qualifications
- the scholarly quality of the host institutions and the cooperation partner
- the relevance for the field of research
- the added value of the proposed cooperation (e.g. synergy effects) for the scholarly development of the field of research in the candidate’s country of origin
- the potential of (inter)national third-party funding and the sustainability of the proposed cooperation