Applications are invited from young scientists working on the history of the natural sciences (preferably with a focus on the development of concepts and ideas) who submit a pilot project which has been developed as preparation for
- a doctoral thesis under the joint supervision of a natural scientist and an historian
- a research project whose team includes, as a rule, at least one natural scientist and one historian.
The work submitted may not be already complete; financing is not available for a current project.
Successful realisation should be demonstrated one year after approval at the latest, via a talk before the awards committee or a fully developed project proposal and/or a publication on the topic.
Prize winners are decided by the General Assembly of the OeAW at the recommendation of an awards committee on the basis of international peer review and a hearing of the best-ranking candidates.
- Tabular CV and list of publications
- Letter of recommendation from doctoral supervisor or a scholar
- Submission of a research plan for use of the prize money
- Exposé of the research project (ca. 5–10 pages)
The following points must be covered:
- general aims and detailed presentation of the problem
- project plan including methodology
ONLINE FORM: Application deadline 2020 expired.
The completed documents are to be uploaded via the online form and sent by post.
Fill in the online form and upload the documents in 1 PDF file.
It is not necessary to supply signatures in the electronic versions. Protected files will not be accepted.
The individual files may not exceed 10 MB. The files are to be given the following names:
Application_Surname.pdf (i.e. application documents)
Please send the application documents and the completed and signed online form by post to the following address:
Department of Fellowships and Awards
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Vordere Zollamtsstraße 3